Met Police inspector cleared of sexual assault charges in Soho case
Judge criticises late witness statements and alcohol use at 2023 police event
News London evidence indexOpen analysis ▾
Trust 66: named inspector, judge, jury verdict and court provide specific sources and official statements.
Higher is stronger
Critic 67: clear facts, specific names, but lacks context, impact explanation, and next‑step details.
Higher is stronger
Hype 32: measured language with mild emphasis, no overt sensationalism.
Lower is better
A Metropolitan Police inspector has been cleared of sexually assaulting three female colleagues during a night out in Soho last year. Dave Newman, 39, faced three counts of sexual assault, with the alleged incidents occurring at a police social event in central London in 2023. A jury at Southwark Crown Court returned unanimous not-guilty verdicts on Thursday afternoon.
Newman, who lives in Luton, showed no visible reaction as the verdicts were delivered. The case drew scrutiny not only for the allegations but also for the conduct of the investigation, with Judge Philip Bartle KC raising serious concerns about the handling of witness evidence.
Met Police seize 2,367 illegal e-bikes in year as powers expand
New law lets officers confiscate modified machines without warning in Barnet and across London
Judge criticises investigation delays
Judge Bartle said he found the timing of witness statements 'completely baffling'. He revealed that one police officer was not asked to provide a statement until the trial had already begun. The judge described the delay as 'inexplicable' and suggested it reflected poorly on the investigation.
The judge also questioned why criminal proceedings had not been prioritised over other organisational matters. 'Criminal proceedings should take priority whether it is the police force or any other organisation,' he said, as reported by *This Is Local London*.
Murder inquiry after woman dies in Hounslow house fire on Berkeley Avenue
Eight others injured, including one woman in life-threatening condition, as police suspect arson
Concerns over police social event
The event at which the alleged assaults took place was described by the judge as 'very troubling'. He expressed surprise that a senior officer would organise a gathering where alcohol was freely distributed, including shots. 'It seems quite extraordinary that a senior police officer would host a drinks party in which it was inevitable that people would drink too much,' Judge Bartle said.
The Metropolitan Police has not commented on the judge’s remarks about the event or the investigation. It is unclear whether internal reviews or disciplinary action will follow in light of the court’s criticisms.
What happens next
Newman remains a serving officer with the Metropolitan Police. The force has not indicated whether it will conduct its own review of the case or the circumstances surrounding the Soho event. The Crown Prosecution Service has not announced any plans to appeal the verdict.
Questions this report answers
+What was Dave Newman accused of?
Dave Newman, a Metropolitan Police inspector, was accused of three counts of sexual assault against three female colleagues during a night out in Soho in 2023. A jury at Southwark Crown Court unanimously found him not guilty on 12 September 2024.
+Why did the judge criticise the investigation?
Judge Philip Bartle KC criticised the late provision of witness statements, calling it 'inexplicable' that some officers were not asked for statements until the trial began. He said criminal proceedings should take priority over other organisational matters.
+What concerns did the judge raise about the police event?
The judge described the Soho event as 'very troubling', questioning why a senior officer would host a gathering where shots were distributed, leading to excessive drinking. He found it 'extraordinary' that such an event took place.
+Will the Metropolitan Police take any action after the verdict?
It is unclear whether the Metropolitan Police will conduct an internal review or disciplinary action following the verdict and the judge’s criticisms. The force has not commented on the matter as of 12 September 2024.
News London Desk
This article was written at the News London news desk from the reporting of the outlets listed below it. Drafting is done by a language model under human editorial supervision — there is no reporter behind this byline, and we would rather say so than invent one.
How stories are produced and scoredWho runs News LondonCorrections
The London Ledger
A considered capital-wide edit delivered each morning.